Single Armbian image for RK + AML + AW (aarch64 ARMv8)

balbes150

Important information for Rockchip RK3328\RK3399 and Allwinner H6. If you have written to the SD card any version of the system that uses a GPT table or a non-standard u-boot (for example, an Android image or an Ubuntu image built by the device manufacturer, etc.). Before writing an Armbian or Libreelec image, be sure to zero the entire SD card with the

dd if=/dev/zero  of=/dev/<sd_card> bs=64M

command. Only then can you write the image to the SD card and it will work correctly. If you do not zero the SD card, there will be problems with u-boot from Armbian and Libreelec (u-boot does not start and stops with a partition table error message). For those who use the new version of u-boot, which supports direct launch from USB media, I recommend using USB media to launch, this guarantees that the system will start, regardless of what was previously on the USB media.

I installed latest Ubuntu bionic desktop image with kernel 5.5-rc6 in my H96 Max X3 (S905X3).

https://www.h96tvbox.com/home/91-398-rounded-h96-max-x3-android-tv-box-s905x3.html

I tried many dtbs and the best was meson-g12a-x96-max.dtb, with gigabit ethernet and usb ports working.

sm1 dtbs were not working fine, meson-sm1-sei610.dtb didn't boot and meson-sm1-khadas-vim3l.dtb only had usb3 working but usb2 wasn't. But I noticed that with meson-sm1-khadas-vim3l.dtb budgie desktop and gnome worked, while not with g12a dtbs. I guess it is because g12a have different graphics chips.

So I modified  meson-sm1-khadas-vim3l.dtb, converted it to dts and tried some minimal changes.

Finally I got USB2 working too with this image. Here are the attached dts and dtb files.

Sound works after removing pulseaudio and running g12_sound.sh

wifi and bt aren't working, as expected.

meson-sm1-H96max-X3.dtb meson-sm1-H96max-X3.dts

After problems with the 19.11.5 images, Armbian_20.02.0-rc1.032_Arm-64_bionic_dev_5.5.0-next-20200131_desktop.img.xz boots, runs and installs again as it should(and I was used to) on my x96mini 2/16 test box with usual eth connection and usb sound.

Thanks @balbes150 for his good work and making s905(w) boot with new builds again!

Hi, this is my first post on this site so appoligies upfront

Over the past few months I have tried various versions of the software on my A95X MAX box using the meson-g12a-x96-max.dtb.

Boot from SD card turned out to be simple - put the card in and power it up. The earlier versions worked very well except for wifi - and probabaly bluetooth (didnt try). However the latest versions simpy dont work for me. During the initial boot the startup code runs and tries to start a number of jobs - in memory logging, disc explanson, monitoring etc. These never start and I get a "fail" message for each.

I have tried the dtb file as built in the image (meson-g12b-odroid-n2.dtb) and it possibly gets fewer fails but there are some.

Despite the fails the startup process continues and eventually I get the invitation to logon. However I cannot the initial passward for root, "1234", doesnt work....

I am not at allsure how to proceed with this - there may be alternative dtb files which suite my A95X MAX better but this problems feels like something to do with systemd whch I struggle to relate to the box I am runing on (but as I said this is my first post and I may be jumping to conclusions..)

ver 20.02.0-rc1 20200129

The sound works on all models S9xxx, rk3399 , rk3328 , aw h6.
Please note that to enable audio on g12 chips s922x s905x2 (models Ugoos AM6, Ugoos x2, Odroid N2 etc), you must follow the instructions specified in the first message.

I can't boot this image, it shows khadas logo and reboots few seconds after, device is khadas vim3 2/16.

I did change dtb, do i need to delete those lines starting with allwinner and rockchip in uenv.ini file?

I did even try to change u-boot with the one for amlogic g12 you provided on yandex, same thing is happening, can you help?

Btw i am using android pie on emmc, if that can help?

20 minutes ago, Tommy21 said:

I can't boot this image, it shows khadas logo and reboots few seconds after, device is khadas vim3 2/16.

If you've run any crap on this model before, read the first message of the topic.

Got ver 20.02.0-rc1 20200129 on my NanoPc-T4.

Things work great: wired ethernet, wifi (with martinayotte's fix), bluetooth, nvme

No sound from the native soundcard, but not an issue since I have a USB module for that.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, jerryg said:

Got ver 20.02.0-rc1 20200129 on my NanoPc-T4.

Things work great: wired ethernet, wifi (with martinayotte's fix), bluetooth, nvme

No sound from the native soundcard, but not an issue since I have a USB module for that.

What does no sound mean ? I have an HDMI sound that works perfectly with the DTB nanopc-t4.

By the way, I uploaded a script for installing the system in NVMe for NanoPC T4 to the site. The rk3399 chip does not support direct launch of u-boot from NVMe, so the combined mode is used, the u-boot and kernel is located on eMMC, and the entire system is on NVMe. I compared working in mode

1. the entire system is installed on eMMC.

2. bootloader on eMMC + entire system on NVMe.

The second option works much faster (this is taking into account that the NVMe version from Orico is used for the test, which has average characteristics).

https://yadi.sk/d/QRBz-035dlDWUw

I'm getting the following error after normal upgrade with apt from a clean install earlier in January on a VIM3. Never encountered this issue before. I'm thinking about doing a new clean install after overwriting the whole SD card with zeros. @balbes150, are you going to do new builds for kernel 5.5.* in the next 2-3 days for current? Otherwise I'll use Armbian_20.02.0-rc1.030_Arm-64_*_current_5.5.0-rc6_20200129.img. I guess there isn't much of a change between latest rc6 to final.

mount: /boot: wrong fs type , bad option , bad superblock, missing codepage or helper program, or other error

4 hours ago, balbes150 said:

By the way, I uploaded a script for installing the system in NVMe for NanoPC T4 to the site. The rk3399 chip does not support direct launch of u-boot from NVMe, so the combined mode is used, the u-boot and kernel is located on eMMC, and the entire system is on NVMe. I compared working in mode

1. the entire system is installed on eMMC.

2. bootloader on eMMC + entire system on NVMe.

The second option works much faster (this is taking into account that the NVMe version from Orico is used for the test, which has average characteristics).

https://yadi.sk/d/QRBz-035dlDWUw

I've been running my NanoPC-T4 boot on eMMC  system on nvme with the 4.xx kernels via armbian-config  It is a lot faster than an SD card or eMMC.  Have you noticed boot time with the 5.xx kernels is faster with this setup?   With SD card I see bootup times around 60-70 seconds.

Thanks for the script, I'll give it a go.

17 minutes ago, starman345 said:

I've been running my NanoPC-T4 boot on eMMC  system on nvme with the 4.xx kernels via armbian-config  It is a lot faster than an SD card or eMMC.  Have you noticed boot time with the 5.xx kernels is faster with this setup?   With SD card I see bootup times around 60-70 seconds.

Thanks for the script, I'll give it a go.

Kernel 5 still has a bug that causes the kernel to load slowly (unpacking initrd) on rk3399. Therefore, the initial startup time of a system with 5 cores is significant (this is the same for any media). For me, it's not the initial launch time that matters, but the overall speed of the system.

I added the u-boot file for Allwinner H5 (Orange-pi-pc2) to the site.

Checked it with the current images from this theme (used USB media + SD card with this u-boot), everything starts and works from a USB flash drive on a test OrangePI PC2. :)

Updating from 19.11.4 to 19.11.5 via apt gave the "mount: /boot: wrong fs type" error and left the new kernel files on the ROOT_EMMC in /boot instead of on BOOT_EMMC. Not terribly difficult to fix by hand, but still probably not as intended. Sound is indeed back in rc6 (s912) !

I've done multiple installations on VIM3 using a clean SD card with both Armbian_19.11.5_Arm-64_buster_current_5.5.0-rc6_20200127 and Armbian_20.02.0-rc1.030_Arm-64_buster_current_5.5.0-rc6_20200129. The color issue appear on both of the images as well as earlier and the simple fix by swapping u-boot files fixes it.

My main concern is the following error which I've never seen before and apply to both images. There are thousands of the same error message in journalctl.

Spoiler

Feb 03 21:17:46 aml agetty[1689]: /dev/ttyS2: not a tty
Feb 03 21:17:50 aml systemd[1]: systemd-fsckd.service: Succeeded.
Feb 03 21:17:53 aml systemd[1]: systemd-hostnamed.service: Succeeded.
Feb 03 21:17:56 aml systemd[1]: serial-getty@ttyS2.service: Succeeded.
Feb 03 21:17:57 aml systemd[1]: serial-getty@ttyS2.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
Feb 03 21:17:57 aml systemd[1]: serial-getty@ttyS2.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 3.
Feb 03 21:17:57 aml systemd[1]: Stopped Serial Getty on ttyS2.
Feb 03 21:17:57 aml systemd[1]: Started Serial Getty on ttyS2.

Update:
Running systemctl disable serial-getty@ttyS2.service && systemctl disable serial-getty@ttyS2.service fixed it.

8 minutes ago, Z11ntal33r said:

My main concern is the following error which I've never seen before and apply to both images. There are thousands of the same error message in journalctl.  Running systemctl stop getty@ttyS1 && systemctl disable getty@ttyS1 does not fix it. How do I disable it in boot kernel console (disable set_hardware serialconsole)?

Reveal hidden contents

Feb 03 21:17:46 aml agetty[1689]: /dev/ttyS2: not a tty
Feb 03 21:17:50 aml systemd[1]: systemd-fsckd.service: Succeeded.
Feb 03 21:17:53 aml systemd[1]: systemd-hostnamed.service: Succeeded.
Feb 03 21:17:56 aml systemd[1]: serial-getty@ttyS2.service: Succeeded.
Feb 03 21:17:57 aml systemd[1]: serial-getty@ttyS2.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
Feb 03 21:17:57 aml systemd[1]: serial-getty@ttyS2.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 3.
Feb 03 21:17:57 aml systemd[1]: Stopped Serial Getty on ttyS2.
Feb 03 21:17:57 aml systemd[1]: Started Serial Getty on ttyS2.

I use systemctl stop  sys-devices-platform-serial8250-tty-ttyS0.device  ; systemctl stop dev-ttyS0.device
which works but I'm using S905X p201 & p212 hardware.

Hi, I'm new to Armbian and using it on my TV box. All the images work well on the Mecool KM9 using the GT1 mini Deb and the sound fix.

Does anyone know how to turn eth0 off I keep getting error messages about it and I'm using wifi, don't need ethernet.

New version of Armbian 20.02 (20200204) for Allwinner H6 with support for starting the system from USB media. Please note that the link images ARE not universal, they are intended only for Allwinner H6. To start the system from USB, you must either install a system in eMMC that supports starting from USB (the latest version Armbian), or use the combined version of SD (only new u-boot) + USB. After installing Armbian in eMMC with USB startup support, to start the system from USB, it is enough to write a universal image to USB and configure the DTB and the startup script (rename the script with the .aw extension). You do not need to add u-boot to the media. When a USB storage device is connected, the system starts automatically from USB. When disabled, the system starts from eMMC. You do not need to make any additional settings in the system on eMMC, everything starts automatically.

I checked the work on Tanix TX6, Armbian in eMMC + running new versions of Armbian and Libreelec with USB, everything works. :)

https://yadi.sk/d/GJbDt3-FjQ-dQA

On 2/1/2020 at 4:00 PM, kevinH said:

Over the past few months I have tried various versions of the software on my A95X MAX box using the meson-g12a-x96-max.dtb

HI, kevinH! I bought the same TV box "A95X MAX", not considering to use it as a Linux desktop, but your post raised some interest inside of me :)

I tried it and have same issues, often installation froze at expanding space on SD card, one time it gets to the point of login prompt, but I couldn't type anything. Also tried to expand the system partition manually before first booting process, but no success on bringing up this box.

Edited by sabirovrinat85

On 2/2/2020 at 3:54 AM, balbes150 said:

What does no sound mean ? I have an HDMI sound that works perfectly with the DTB nanopc-t4.

Sorry about that. I was imprecise. Tested HDMI sound this morning and it works perfectly. The 3.5mm jack is completely missing though. Not even listed in the alsamixer UI. As mentioned previously, this is not an issue.

I will try the nvme install this week-end.

On 2/1/2020 at 3:00 PM, kevinH said:

Over the past few months I have tried various versions of the software on my A95X MAX box using the meson-g12a-x96-max.dtb.

I use default dtb. rk3328-box.dtb or something like that on my A5X Max and it works (except wifi and bluetooth).

I have not been able to boot with x96 dtb-s.

So every A5X max might not be the same. Mine is quite old oversion, bough over a year ago.

Play around, try different rk3328 dtb files and see how they work.

I am trying to run Armbian_20.02.0-rc1.036_Arm-64_buster_current_5.5.0-rc6_desktop_20200205.img on A95X F3 Air (S905x3, 4GB/32GB).

Kernel loads to a point where it needs to mount ROOTFS and then there is infinite loop of error messages and I am dropped to initramfs console.

error messages keep coming about once per second.

mmc1: error -84 whilst initialising SD card

I have tried several DTB files but every single one I tried ends up like this.

This box has mt7668rsn module for WiFi/BT and as far as I understand it is connected over SDIO. Can that somehow screw it up? Kernel looks for SD card and is stuck on some strange SDIO implemetation?

Or is SDIO device referenced by mmc[0-9] at all? Not sure how SDIO works on kernel level.

I keep trying. And I will try "-next"/"-dev" image also. Maybe it works better. And I might try S9xxx image too.

EDIT:

Booting from USB works. But for whatever reason console is cyan instead of black when booting from usb.

Looks like kernel does not like my Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB microsd card. It reads kernel just fine and boots kernel. But when kernel tries to read sdcard, there are errors and it fails.

Transend Premium 128GB card gives the same error.

Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB card gives the same error.

Kingston Canvas Select Plus 64GB card gives lot of different IO errors and also fails.

I have used that same cards with different images from this forum on S905/RK3328/S905x2 devices without problems so far.

Not sure what is wrong with this device.

I also have problem with S9xxx image and 5.3 kernel. Same problems.

I just can not get SD card to work.

Any ideas?

EDIT2:

Cards work fine in Android. So reader is ok and can read those cards. Bootloader also reads kernel from all of those cards just fine.

There is something wrong with kernel mmc driver maybe? Some sort of comatibility issue?

I discovered the same problem:

I also solved that issue via sd card + usb. My TV box is X96 air. I wonder why other users with that box could boot from sdcard completely and I had to go the way via sd + usb.

Could there be any problem of installing it to emmc when using the combined boot method? Until now I am afraid to install it to emmc because I dont want to brick it...

Regarding A5X max (4/32): mine did not boot with the new kernel 5 images no matter what dtb I used. I opened my box and on PCB there is written "MXQ-RK3328-D4_A VER_1.1 DATE: 20170909"

The way booting up kernel 5 which srx described in some other post sounded too complex for me. So if anyone has a (adapted) dtb file for the kernel 5 images for the A5X max box I would be happy if someone shares it

47 minutes ago, slaven said:

"MXQ-RK3328-D4_A VER_1.1 DATE: 20170909"

Mine is: VER_1.0 20170730 - and works with both unified image (5.5 kernel) and rk3328 image (both 4.4 and 5.3 kernel versions)

Even if you install fresh image. No need to do the magic I described somewhere before. That magic was so that I do not need to do full wipe/install just for trying new kernel.

Could it be related to DTB and SD voltage regulation or something like that?

I have a faint memory of reading about it somewhere. Something like using non-standard/strange regulators that need different setup.

I do not have much time or motivation to dig very deep. But if I can find some time I will look at DTB and compare SD card voltages on different devices. Could be as simple as fixing some numbers in DTB to get right voltage. But I would not bet on it.

EDIT:

SD voltage seems ok - 3.3V

I measured A5X Max box where all cards work and that has also 3.3V.

I also measured in Android and in Linux (well... initramfs console) to make sure that kernel does not change voltage - and it does not. It stays at 3.3V.