Switching SUNXI-DEV to 5.2.y

3 hours ago, ning said:

still requires additional patches?

Of course. Once again: mainline kernel (www.kernel.org) is behind 6-12 months and some features will never be accepted or accepted late for many reasons. Pure mainline = dropping many Allwinner specific (in this case) features and ignore few obvious bugs that hasn't been fixed upstream. Ignoring advantage we have - knowing hardware very well - from any Linux distribution that is not Armbian based.

Is that what you want?

3 hours ago, ning said:

why not merge these additional patches to 3rd party repo?

Answer to this question is

why KERNELSOURCE="https://github.com/megous/linux" 

But not all are there and IMO patches is easier to maintain then yet another private kernel fork.

7 hours ago, ning said:

@martinayotte I have a question, why KERNELSOURCE="https://github.com/megous/linux" in sunxi_common.inc?

I think Igor already answered that, but let's detailled that with my own answer :

Megous branch is already a fork of the Mainline, but he contributed himself by patching in his own branch a lot of things that are not yet in Mainline.

If Armbian would use Mainline directly, we would have to bring copies of Megous patches ourselves and maintain them, giving us nothing more than additional workload...

So, Megous is in other words some kind of an Armbian contributor by maintaining his own branches which are usually updated within few days of official Mainline releases, such as 5.2.y recently.

For other SoC, Armbian is doing the same, such as Ayufan's branches ...

for meson64, it always uses mainline/stable kernel, not private fork. is this because meson support in upstream is much good than sunxi?

BTW: when meson64-dev to 5.2.y?

22 minutes ago, ning said:

is this because meson support in upstream is much good than sunxi?

Not really, but we didn't found yet a private fork that is relevant to work with, this means that meson may lag behind until we found proper maintainer.

24 minutes ago, ning said:

BTW: when meson64-dev to 5.2.y?

Maybe soon, it is only because "time is still the missing ingredient" ... ;)

Just a quick question. 

Will 5.2.x be available with apt update && apt upgrade? 

I'm on an old user built stretch and bionic, switched to dev, now 5.91 and it remains on 5.1.x kernel for now. 

Perhaps it's not as stable as you would like? 

Best regards

25 minutes ago, AZ8 said:

Is it possible to upgrade just kernel without re-flashing whole system?

Do a build with "kernel+u-boot only", then copy output/debs/linux-image-dev-sunxi64_5.93_arm64.deb and output/debs/linux-dtb-dev-sunxi64_5.93_arm64.deb on the OPi using "scp".

After logging into OPi with "ssh", simply do "dpkg -i linux*.deb" ...

47 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

Do a build with "kernel+u-boot only", then copy output/debs/linux-image-dev-sunxi64_5.93_arm64.deb and output/debs/linux-dtb-dev-sunxi64_5.93_arm64.deb on the OPi using "scp".

After logging into OPi with "ssh", simply do "dpkg -i linux*.deb" ...

And may be the Linux headers as well depending on your needs ^_^