Armbian Donations

Bozza

Assembled - first boot of Ubuntu 20.04 looks very very nice :) But it was tense ... "what if it will not work?" :D

Also NVME and SATA DOMs are recognized but 10Gb NIC. Which probably need more recent kernel ... and water cooling doesn't fit into the case. Currently mounted outside, which might even not be that bad.

Screenshot from 2020-11-16 11-48-33.png

5 hours ago, Igor said:

doesn't fit into the case

Yeah, you may need to take couple (few?) hundred of funds and purchase some "gayming / enthusiast" type case, unfortunately.  And likely a big one.  Maybe you don't like that (some don't) but I like having the room.  It makes working on stuff much easier.  And these sort of cases have room for radiators, plenty large (140mm) fans, etc.  Mine sits right next to me on desktop (to showcase it) but I can't hear it at all (I only hear the little ODROID-XU4 fan when it winds up, lol).  You will be working that board a lot harder than me though (I guess why you choose to go liquid cooling, makes sense).

A number of years ago (5-6? +?) I bought Corsair 750D which is not the biggest one they made but pretty close, as I knew it would give me room to expand (including many HDD) for some years and it is still serving me wonderfully.  Very happy with it.  By now I have upgraded my main battle station to similar server style mobo (KGPE D-16) and 2x Cooler Master CPU coolers which are absolutely gigantic (inexpensive, but gigantic) and they fit fine.  I also have a number of HDDs and a couple SBC all inside the same case.  It works out pretty well (mainly as a proper place to mount all the HDDs, which are in fact connected mostly to the SBCs).

That line of Corsair cases I think is still around, and (at least at the time) they were not plagued with too much of the flashy gayming crap and blinking lights, etc.  In fact very clean looking, classy, and understated (IMO).  And quite reasonably priced, for the quality.  But this was prior to Corsair tramp stamp era.  :D  Obviously all subjective, there are many other cases out there too and things probably changed a lot in the meantime.

5 hours ago, Igor said:

[pic of htop showing 128 cores]

I got a smile the first time I opened htop on my current machine (2x AMD Opteron = 32 threads total) but that is just crazy, man.  The CPU list takes up like 2/3 of the screen.  :D  Nice.    :thumbup:    :beer:

It's a gaming case. Has all requirements such as leds in the bottom :D , green led Razor logo in the front, glass window and RGB leds on the cooling cap ...  but it is fu* 1cm too small to mount a radiator inside the case. :( I could mount it outside but its not screwed with all screws :ph34r:. Cooling performance is awesome at this point.

Ignore messy cabling - will be done at the end.

P1190398.png

I had many difficulties with a setup, hw and sw wise + daily workload - was totally exhausted. It was insane intense day :( Fear and fatigue mixed with excitement. :)

I did quick 7zip benchmark with slight load in the back so numbers are not very accurate:

7-Zip [64] 16.02 : Copyright (c) 1999-2016 Igor Pavlov : 2016-05-21
p7zip Version 16.02 (locale=en_US.UTF-8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,64 bits,128 CPUs AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X 64-Core Processor  (830F10),ASM,AES-NI)

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X 64-Core Processor  (830F10)
CPU Freq: - - - - - - 512000000 - -

RAM size:  257677 MB,  # CPU hardware threads: 128
RAM usage:  28240 MB,  # Benchmark threads:    128

Compressing  |                  Decompressing
Dict     Speed Usage    R/U Rating  |      Speed Usage    R/U Rating
         KiB/s     %   MIPS   MIPS  |      KiB/s     %   MIPS   MIPS

22:     265590 11420   2263 258367  |    4449269 12095   3139 379390
23:     158167 10527   1531 161153  |    4467139 12343   3133 386528
24:     120144 11304   1143 129179  |    4297484 12140   3108 377129
25:     104345 11827   1008 119137  |    4206512 12129   3088 374316
----------------------------------  | ------------------------------
Avr:           11270   1486 166959  |            12177   3117 379341

What we need it for is awesome - it can rebuild kernels in no time. Only thing i recently measured was that it can assemble 194 images in 32 minutes (sadly i don't have exact number from previous server, but it was measured in hours) and it has more efficient cooling. It doesn't heat up much but it consumes around 100W more power than the previous one :) In term of raw cpu power Passmark went from 24k -> 80k + a lot better IO due to raid 0 PCI4 nvme drives and faster memory.

@Werner @NicoD

I will give you access for a few days, then its erased and goes into the real function, where access under certain conditions will also be possible - we are discussing terms here https://armbian.atlassian.net/browse/AR-538

1 hour ago, Igor said:

That is 4.4 x the 32-core ARM server.

25 x my I5 2500K @ 3.7Ghz
32.4 x Odroid N2+
45.1 x RK3399
:o

1 hour ago, Igor said:

@Werner @NicoD

I will give you access for a few days

That would be amazing. Another video coming then, and another round to ask for funding :)
I bet people would love to see this. I'm baffled by that result.
Now if that will not be powerful enough to build images... I could never have imagined 20 years ago something like this would be possible.
I now know it's time to look for a better pc :)

3 hours ago, NicoD said:

Another video coming then, and another round to ask for funding

Yes, good promo, bring more attention.  :thumbup:

5 hours ago, Igor said:

it can assemble 194 images in 32 minutes (sadly i don't have exact number from previous server, but it was measured in hours) and it has more efficient cooling. It doesn't heat up much but it consumes around 100W more power than the previous one

So turn it on between specified hours, build all images, and off the rest of the time.  :D  Or that power increase is only at load?

5 minutes ago, Igor said:

Yes. Its around 100W on idle - it won't be put off - and 400W at full load. Not that bad.

The same power efficiency/performance as the ARM server.
While the ARM server isn't the latest. That Ampere Altra 80-core ARM server also looks nice :D 
The ARM server is then a lot lower in idle too. 

4 hours ago, Igor said:

it won't be put off

I was just kidding.  :)

4 hours ago, Igor said:

Its around 100W on idle [...] and 400W at full load.

I had to look mine up (I have a Kill-A-Watt and do periodic power testing on things) and the KGPE-D16 idles about 165 W and 372 at full power.  But it's older tech, much less powerful than this brand new Threadripper of course.  I trade efficiency for freedom (and happy to do so).  :)

Until NSA launch their back doors, and then I am the only one left standing with a running computer.  Muhahahahah!  :D  Hello, this is John Connor.  :D

But I don't need it most of the time, for personal use.  In fact just talking to Nico about his videos making me think very hard about using SBC for daily driver desktop and save some electricity.

Edited by TRS-80
typo

I know, I been watching it climb.  Some times nothing and then suddenly it jumps.  I thought I will have to get out the check book to push us over the finish line, but maybe not.  If the community can manage it then great because I still don't have income right now (flip side being I have some time, hence working on docs, etc. lately).

3 hours ago, dolphs said:

Great news, delighted to see it is appreciated and people do care about your great work! :thumbup:

P.s: I wonder why I lost "donator' status ?

grafik.png

It is there for me?

Anyway.

This community is crazy. Not that we made it through the crowdfunding but we made it through in less than half of the time it was public. This is insane. Not much to say but THANK YOU ALL WHO DONATED!

3 hours ago, dolphs said:

Great news, delighted to see it is appreciated and people do care about your great work! :thumbup:

P.s: I wonder why I lost "donator' status ?

I can see you as a donator. I'm not seen as one, maybe because my Paypal email address is not the one I'm using on the forum. I won't complain, I just gave coffee money. ;-)

I am also very happy that we manage to cover this purchase together in so little no time. This was also a live test of our crowdfunding system. It works surprisingly well and we will certainly use it for our other projects in the future.

As you already noticed, server was already purchased and is currently under evaluation. This upcoming release will already be build on it. We already built few nightly builds and speed bump from aging dual xeon is hard to describe :) 

Thank you all for showing us support!

16 minutes ago, dolphs said:

there is indeed the culprit

Paypal donations and forum donations are not synchronised even paypal user would be the same :( Sorting those things is yet another project, but at the project location it will remain at sight who supported server purchase. 

I am also very pleasantly surprised at the support.  That was a decent figure, and we hit it pretty quickly.  There must be more people out there who appreciate Armbian than I realized.  A silent majority, if you will.

The donations are greatly appreciated.  Thanks to everyone who pitched in!

I also view this as an indicator, a validation of everyone's efforts who contribute and are involved in this project in one way or another.  FeelsGoodMan.jpg

Cheers, mates!

:thumbup:    :beer:

7 hours ago, Digitalman1983 said:

Wow that was quick!  I didn't even have a chance to kick in....so what's next ? ;)

If you have money to donate simple increase your subscription :P

We need to make sure to use our funds wisely so the process of tinkering how to so takes quite some time.

There will be fundraising campains in the future as soon as we have a solid idea about what we need. :love:

I did try to donate today few time without success.  First there was insufficient amount on the card and the I did remove site private protection in firefox, and also enhanced tracking protection (the chield on the left side of the url: bar, still no success.    Must be something else, will try again to morrow.