Tritium - new board from Libre Computer creators of Le Potato

manuti

Just the tiny one goes for $ 9.-

available in configurations:

•  0,5GB 32-bit 1080P
  • 1GB    32-bit 4K30
  • 2GB    64-bit 4K30

Brrr, just like SinoVoip, switch the SoC as often as you can: H2+, H3, and H5 SoC.  Not even the 64-Bit stays at Amlogic like Le Potato

I have to search if there is already a way to write armbian on the eMMC of the Le Potato - it sounds on Kickstarter that LP OS is still in development and they already come out with new HW..

Edited by Tido
brrrr

15 hours ago, manuti said:

Opinions? Hopes?

Well, I still don't like Micro USB for DC-IN and would hope they add a good, short and at least 22AWG rated Micro USB cable when shipping the boards (or at least later as mandatory add-on). Then while I understand why GbE is missing (since H2+ is said to not support it, so this decision allows for using the same PCB with all three Allwinner variants and just exchange SoC and DRAM chips) this limits some use cases. But on the bright side it seems all 4 USB ports are directly available as type A receptacle (Micro USB for powering only) and eMMC as module is getting more popular (and by looking at Libre Computer's web site it seems they will provide similar modules for a few other boards too):

15be1b821ea9f3d4c93d7bca64496575_origina

Some time Raspberry Pi will move to USB-C and everybody will do.

An eMMC module standard can be another game changer.

And of course, except you guys, nobody is putting a serious effort on improve the OS side of this computer board world.

Schematics are released, had a quick look on it:

• MicroUSB is power only, not connected to USB
  • VCC_CPUX seems a bit uncommon to me (AXP8036, no SY8106A nor SY8113B) seems that they 'cleaned up' the whole pmic stuff whereas AXP8036 replaces them all - my google fu is too low to find information about the AXP8036... :P 
  • First time I saw a fuse on DC in (to be honest I never checked all schematics properly to say this is the first time a board has one)
  • On 15.11.2017 at 8:51 AM, TonyMac32 said:

@tkaiser I agree with you on the powering situation, I wish we could at least see a dedicated pin header for those who know better.

To my understanding of schematics (and this level is maybe a little bit low, but I didn't catch something that looks like 'power-in connector' so only powering over pin-header might be an opportunity...

• On 15.11.2017 at 8:48 AM, tkaiser said:

Then while I understand why GbE is missing (since H2+ is said to not support it, so this decision allows for using the same PCB with all three Allwinner variants and just exchange SoC and DRAM chips) this limits some use cases

Schematic is named as H3 and it doesn't seem that GbE is wired out. 

We are 75% funded! That was a lot faster than we anticipated and we are only 5 days in. Help us get the word out! Hit 2500 backers or $100K and we will include the custom heatsink for every board order and a USB programming cable and UART cable for all the kits!

:lol: I don't think that they get $100K but an el cheapo USB-TTL for ~$0.50 only for kits? It might be useful for their own support (if they plan to give active support for this board) to make sure every owner has such a USB-TTL....  I like that more and more boardmakers catch the idea of a connector towards the eMMC, they can reduce their costs by producing a bunch of SBCs with a connector and ship it with or without depending on the price and preference of customers.  4 type A USB connectors on a microUSB powered board will end in a lot of new topics for https://forum.armbian.com/forum/31-sd-card-and-power-supply/ if this board will be supported by Armbian... :P And cause this board will be a RaspberryPi competitor, IMHO GbE should be a must (it would perform better than RPi anyway, cause not sharing bandwidth of a single USB, but GbE would make it much better). 

At the moment I have enough H2+/H3 boards, and I don't see an use case where this board will be better than the ones I have but I'm sure they find enough others interested in this boards.  Seems that the 64bit (H5) boards are sold best on their campaign. 

http://www.x-powers.com/en.php/Info/product_list/cat_id/31

The AXP8036 seems a lot like the Realtek USB audio on the Tinker Board, it doesn't exist.  ;-)  (I assume it physically does, but datasheets seem impossible)

Does not look like there is any hope for voltage scaling however, that is a fixed regulator.

Hmmm...

image.thumb.png.c8ef3e3356283797043343662820077b.png

Is this supposed to go back to VDD-CPUFB on the SoC?  That would be my guess, otherwise why not tie them together?

3 hours ago, chwe said:

First time I saw a fuse on DC in (to be honest I never checked all schematics properly to say this is the first time a board has one)

There are fuses on a lot of boards, the RPi's, Le Potato, the Khadas VIM, it is one of the hazards of bypassing the factory connector (even if it is u-USB).  They're always self-resetting thermal polyfuses, although it's always extremely important to understand how long it takes one of those things to "blow".  for instance, if that's a 2 Amp "hold" fuse like the Littlefuse 1812L series, it will take 8 amps a maximum of 2 seconds to make it go fully open.  In that example it also has a series resistance of 20 to 70 m-ohms. 

I don't see a header for DC-in, but that's not surprising.

6 hours ago, chwe said:

Seems that the 64bit (H5) boards are sold best on their campaign

Most probably it's the '2 GB DRAM' that sells best. Anyway: fixed VDD_CPUX at 1.2V + powering with Micro USB + no Gigabit Ethernet... I'm already out but shouldn't matter that much since the boards are advertised as Android 7.x devices anyway...

I didn't see anything specific concerning legacy kernels. From the looks I guess they will provide mainline only – which is nice but at the moment lacks proper graphics-support (no mali, no VE, DRI still WIP).

Seems a bit strange to advertise 4K 30FPS/1080p 60FPS when it's really just a framebuffer.

Did I miss something?