• 0

Orangepi 3 h6 allwiner chip


constantius
 Share

53 53

Question

Recommended Posts

Armbian is a community driven open source project. Do you like to contribute your code?

  • 0
39 minutes ago, krachlatte said:

hi guys,

 

i just build the image, so you could give it a try...

 

https://github.com/krachlatte/armbian-orangepi3/releases/tag/v0.12

 

i still did not receive the hardware

 

many thanks so far

 

This is the serial output from my Opi3 (it has a eMMC).
No light turn on.

v0.12_Armbian_5.76_Orangepi3_Ubuntu_bionic_dev_4.20.12.log

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 3/6/2019 at 11:10 AM, @lex said:

I have tried to add i2c and spi but it did not work as i expected.

Just an update to i2c and spi.

 

The pin node definition i2c0 and i2c1 are reversed. It works. (5.0.1)

So i think it is safe to assume i2c and spi are working, just need someone with better experience with the spi LCD to find the right DT configuration for the mainline 5.0.y .

Hope this help.

 

i2cdetect -l
i2c-3    i2c           DesignWare HDMI                     I2C adapter
i2c-1    i2c           mv64xxx_i2c adapter                 I2C adapter
i2c-2    i2c           mv64xxx_i2c adapter                 I2C adapter
i2cdetect -y 1
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 3d -- -- 
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --                         

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 0

Update: I checked out from the original repo now. Works like a charm. - Was using Krachlatte's fork before and this was not maintained any more...

Now on bionic desktop.

--

Hi all,
I've been watching this thread for some time now and tried myself to work with armbian build tools.  Got u-boot and the message "booting kernel" - afterwards the screen (HDMI) went blank. Only some LEDs still flickered (also Ethernet), but no DHCP address was assigned by my router - so I could not see, if anything is up or reach the Opi3. Can anyone point me to a link, where I see, if and how to apply any userpatches or anything else for this device?
Or is already everything updated regulary when I call "compile.sh"? 
Thanks for your support!
Best regards

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, jernej said:

It's present in 5.0, but just for PineH64. Just add DT bits for OrangePi 3 and it should work.

 

BTW, if you'll create patches, please send them upstream.

Yes, HDMI works. Enabling it in DTS + the a64-de2 bus in config is enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 3/12/2019 at 10:31 PM, martinayotte said:

Since I'm preparing Armbian-DEV to switch to 5.0.y, I've simply added it to OPiLite2 and OPiOne+, and it works (at least in plain text console) !

 

Great job. I've built Armbian_5.77_Orangepi3_Ubuntu_bionic_dev_5.0.1_desktop, and I finally can see the potential of this SoC.
It now outperforms all my other quad-core SBC's. Thermals are ok, even without a fan it's very workable.
It does seem that the heat can't dissipate well into the heatsink, I think this SoC is a bit too small. With a short 7z benchmark is quickly goes up to 75°C. But the heatsink doesn't warm up. When done it immediatly goes back to 45°C. So it can't deliver the heat into the heatsink.

Maximum display resolution is 1024x768. On-board wifi doesn't work, but my dongles worked immediatly. Also no hdmi sound.
Just for fun I tried Youtube. And it plays great in 1080p with Firefox. Don't know if this would be the same with a true 1080p display resolution.

I'm very happy seeing a better performing image for it. What a difference with the images from Orange Pi.
The SoC could use a metal casing to better dissipate the heat, otherwise it looks good. Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, NicoD said:

Maximum display resolution is 1024x768. On-board wifi doesn't work, but my dongles worked immediatly. Also no hdmi sound.
Just for fun I tried Youtube. And it plays great in 1080p with Firefox. Don't know if this would be the same with a true 1080p display resolution.


yah i was shocked myself....  see if this helps
 

https://docs.armbian.com/Hardware_Allwinner/#how-to-reconfigure-video-output
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 0

It seems that OrangePi 3 has DDC_CEC_EN signal (pin PH2), which has to be enabled in order to read out EDID. Can someone try to enable it by hand and then re-plug hdmi to see if it helps?

 

Correct solution would be to extend HDMI driver with additional DDC power supply or gpio property, like it's done here: https://github.com/Icenowy/linux/commits/h6-hdmi (IMO power supply is more appropriate solution).

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, jernej said:

It seems that OrangePi 3 has DDC_CEC_EN signal (pin PH2), which has to be enabled in order to read out EDID. Can someone try to enable it by hand and then re-plug hdmi to see if it helps

 

Interesting.  I bet its the same case with my oneplus

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 0

So running my Opi3 on Armbian_5.77_Orangepi3_Ubuntu_bionic_dev_5.0.1_desktop.img works stable with HDMI@1024/768, . 

@martinayotte:

Thank you very much for your work!
I saw now, that

- eth0 connection is still on 10 Mbps (is there anything we could do about this?)

- wlan interface is not available - but there seems to be an implementation for H6 already - could we use this in any way?

- Bluetooth is not available

- Sound is not available

 

Furthermore I was not able to install docker up to now on top of this image - is there any restriction doing so, or can you provide any pointer to a working docker solution? 

Update 21.3.19: found out now, that docker can easily be installed in armbian-config.

 

BTW if you have any needs, please feel free to download the bionic image file from 

(new build from 20.3.19:)

https://cloud.multivalenzen.de/s/2k36y6QeHrnZHbx build outdated - no longer available!

Edited by Frank Kettenbeil
File no longer available
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, Frank Kettenbeil said:

- wlan interface is not available - but there seems to be an implementation for H6 already - could we use this in any way?

WiFi is working on OPi3, but you need to manually tweak the firmware and reboot :

mv /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.bin /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.bin-ORIG
mv /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt-ORIG
cp /lib/firmware/rkwifi/fw_bcm43456c5_ag.bin /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.bin
cp /lib/firmware/rkwifi/nvram_ap6256.txt /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 3/16/2019 at 11:32 AM, lanefu said:


yah i was shocked myself....  see if this helps
 

https://docs.armbian.com/Hardware_Allwinner/#how-to-reconfigure-video-output
 

i did the following but the screen resolution remain at 1024 x 768:

sudo nano /boot/boot.cmd

- add 
-+- setenv video-mode sunxi:1920x1080,monitor=hdmi,hpd=0,edid=1
-+- saveenv

Then

sudo mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d /boot/boot.cmd /boot/boot.scr

sudo reboot

If reboot, all the LEDs turn off and it won't boot up. Need to unplug and plug the power adapter.

 

4 hours ago, martinayotte said:

WiFi is working on OPi3, but you need to manually tweak the firmware and reboot :


mv /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.bin /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.bin-ORIG
mv /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt-ORIG
cp /lib/firmware/rkwifi/fw_bcm43456c5_ag.bin /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.bin
cp /lib/firmware/rkwifi/nvram_ap6256.txt /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt

 

First time built an image.

Did the commands above but I can't detect any WiFi network.

If reboot, all the LEDs turn off and it won't boot up. Need to unplug and plug the power adapter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, 062621AM said:

i did the following but the screen resolution remain at 1024 x 768:

sudo nano /boot/boot.cmd

- add 
-+- setenv video-mode sunxi:1920x1080,monitor=hdmi,hpd=0,edid=1
-+- saveenv

Then

sudo mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d /boot/boot.cmd /boot/boot.scr

sudo reboot

If reboot, all the LEDs turn off and it won't boot up. Need to unplug and plug the power adapter.

 

 

yeah apparently the u-boot params don't work and needs like a hardcoded change in u-boot for the hardset to work according to the sunxi wiki.   See  https://forum.armbian.com/topic/9368-orangepi-3-h6-allwiner-chip/?do=findComment&comment=74731  also

re: reboot...  known issue

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 0
13 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

Almost all H6 boards have problem with "reboot" command, we din't find solution yet, we need to re-cycle power to reboot.


I'm almost tempted to power it through a NC relay... I wonder if i could get the gpio to trip late enough in shutdown process to reboot

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 3/17/2019 at 2:12 PM, martinayotte said:

WiFi is working on OPi3, but you need to manually tweak the firmware and reboot :


mv /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.bin /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.bin-ORIG
mv /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt-ORIG
cp /lib/firmware/rkwifi/fw_bcm43456c5_ag.bin /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.bin
cp /lib/firmware/rkwifi/nvram_ap6256.txt /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt

 

Sorry, there is no change visible to me after doing this. - Are there any further steps needed to have the wifi device available? Where are these firmware files activated or used?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

53 53