9 9
NicoD

NanoPi M4 V2 - M4 Image not working

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

Yes ! It is using a U-Boot compatible with LPDDR4 ...

Hi martinayotte, I've just tried it with both Buster and Ubuntu without any luck - no flashing green light :-(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pkfox said:

Hi martinayotte, I've just tried it with both Buster and Ubuntu without any luck - no flashing green light :-(

Do you have an eMMC module present ? If Yes, unplug it, it could prevent getting the proper U-Boot loaded from SDCard ...

Do you have a USB-TTL Serial dongle to see debug output ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, djjerdog said:

I don't get a flashing green light,

Maybe because you still use the RockPi4B DT and the LED pin is not the same as M4, you need to switch to to proper DT in /boot/armbianEnv.txt by adding this line :

fdtfile=rockchip/rk3399-nanopi-m4.dtb

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

Maybe because you still use the RockPi4B DT and the LED pin is not the same as M4, you need to switch to to proper DT in /boot/armbianEnv.txt by adding this line :


fdtfile=rockchip/rk3399-nanopi-m4.dtb

 

I was hoping that was it, but I just added that line to the bottom of armbianEnv.txt, rebooted but still no blinky green light :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, djjerdog said:

rebooted but still no blinky green light :/

What is reporting this command ?

cat /sys/class/leds/status_led/trigger

Also, maybe it is the fact that you choose "default" image instead of "dev" ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wlanpi@rockpi:~$ cat /sys/class/leds/status_led/trigger

cat: /sys/class/leds/status_led/trigger: No such file or directory

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm unable to ssh into the M4v2 board when running the latest RockPi4 dev 5.3 image. I can ping it and I get a reply, but for some reason I can't SSH into it.  I get no response with ssh on port 22. Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My apologies, I just realized I still had my microSD card (with 4.4) inserted but was trying to boot the 5.3 image using the eMMC slot. I removed the microSD card and re-burned the 5.3 image and it is now booting and I am able to ssh into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, djjerdog said:

but was trying to boot the 5.3 image using the eMMC slot

What do you mean by eMMC slot ? Beware that eMMC won't work until you get proper DT loaded.

 

4 minutes ago, djjerdog said:

The M4v2 doesn't appear to be booting at all now using the latest 5.3 RockPi4 image.

I will give you a backup of my 5.4.0-rc1 image as soon it is ready, backup is still in progress ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woohoo, I have a blinky green light :)

 

I'm booting the RockPi4 dev 5.3 image using a microSD card, I modified armbianEnv.txt adding:

fdtfile=rockchip/rk3399-nanopi-m4.dtb

rebooted and the green hearbeat status LED started blinking

 

Here is the output from# cat /sys/class/leds/status_led/trigger

 

root@rockpi:~# cat /sys/class/leds/status_led/trigger

none kbd-scrolllock kbd-numlock kbd-capslock kbd-kanalock kbd-shiftlock kbd-altgrlock kbd-ctrllock kbd-altlock kbd-shiftllock kbd-shiftrlock kbd-ctrlllock kbd-ctrlrlock mmc0 mmc1 mmc2 timer oneshot disk-activity disk-read disk-write ide-disk [heartbeat] backlight gpio cpu cpu0 cpu1 cpu2 cpu3 cpu4 cpu5 activity default-on rfkill-any rfkill-none tcpm-source-psy-4-0022-online 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, martinayotte said:

You were right twice:

1) the installed emmc module prevented the the nanopi-m4_v2 from booting using the the sd card. Once removed the emmc, rockpi4 image boots (but without the green led blinking)

2) with the dev kernel, the green led works too

 

Tnx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, martinayotte said:

Do you have an eMMC module present ? If Yes, unplug it, it could prevent getting the proper U-Boot loaded from SDCard ...

Do you have a USB-TTL Serial dongle to see debug output ?

I flashed the image to the eMMC card - I don't use the sdcard - I do have a USB-TTL dongle but I don't see any output

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pkfox said:

I flashed the image to the eMMC card - I don't use the sdcard

Right ! What I did to get eMMC running is I've frist removed it to get u-boot booting, stop it to get at the prompt, then I re-inserted the eMMC carefully while power still present , and boot the SDCard using "setenv devnum 1; run mmc_boot". When SD was booted and I've logged, I used "nand-sata-install" to install/clone the SDCard into eMMC ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, martinayotte said:

So, everything is good now ?

This mean my backup won't be needed ...

No backup needed on my part (but thank you!), my issue was that I was trying to use the eMMC card, once I moved to using the microSD card things started working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, martinayotte said:

Beware that RK3399 default baudrate is 1500000...

I have some success - I flashed to the sdcard as you suggested - removed the eMMC card - and it booted - I then added fdtfile=rockchip/rk3399-nanopi-m4.dtb to to the /boot/armbianEnv.txt file and rebooted - voila we have the heartbeat green light. Thanks for all your help all I need now is wi-fi which I assume is going to be difficult ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pkfox said:

I have some success - I flashed to the sdcard as you suggested - removed the eMMC card - and it booted - I then added fdtfile=rockchip/rk3399-nanopi-m4.dtb to to the /boot/armbianEnv.txt file and rebooted - voila we have the heartbeat green light. Thanks for all your help all I need now is wi-fi which I assume is going to be difficult ?

 

What I have discovered so far is that the wifi chip is a AMPAK AP6356s, which should embed a Broadcom BCM4356. I think first step do is to install firmware-brcm80211.  

Once done that, trying to modprobe brcmfmac seems that it recognizes the presence of the wifi chip, but can't use it:

 

[12214.330077] brcmfmac: F1 signature read @0x18000000=0x17224356
[12214.339814] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac4356-sdio for chip BCM4356/2
[12214.340677] brcmfmac mmc0:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac4356-sdio.friendlyarm,nanopi-m4.txt failed with error -2
[12217.377735] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_readshared: invalid sdpcm_shared address 0xFE8B0174
[12217.377739] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_readshared: unable to obtain sdpcm_shared info: rv=-22 (addr=0xfe8b0174)

 

An hint might be this post https://forum.khadas.com/t/brcm4356-and-mainline-linux-kernel/5281/2

 

By the way, I'm using an old  Realtek usb wifi dongle, and It's working, so USB seems to work

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pask said:

 


[12214.340677] brcmfmac mmc0:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac4356-sdio.friendlyarm,nanopi-m4.txt failed with error -2

An hint could be this post https://forum.khadas.com/t/brcm4356-and-mainline-linux-kernel/5281/2

also do 

cp /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4356-sdio.txt /lib/firmware/brcm/ brcmfmac4356-sdio.friendlyarm,nanopi-m4.txt

then check if  /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4356-sdio.bin would be loaded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also received nanopi M4v2, and (after few attempts of course) succesfuly booted to armbian (rockpi 4b dev 5.3 from 02.11).
for now everything is working except of 2 things :

1. If you load armbian to eMMC and still leave sdcard in slot it will not boot at all (power usage is cycling around 1.9-2.1W and nothing is happening, even doing dd if=/dev/zero to sdcard didn't change anything), when i disconnect sdcard it's booting, and working great for now.

2.Probably more armbian-config issiue than board, but when i tried to install to mmc using btrfs it said that i have to little space on empty 32GB eMMC (there was somethig like :1008M required (blank space) memory available).
when i try ext4 it worked well and without any issiue.

let me know if i can do anything to help ;P

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pask said:

What I have discovered so far is that the wifi chip is a AMPAK AP6356s, which should embed a Broadcom BCM4356. I think first step do is to install firmware-brcm80211.  

Once done that, trying to modprobe brcmfmac seems that it recognizes the presence of the wifi chip, but can't use it:

 


[12214.330077] brcmfmac: F1 signature read @0x18000000=0x17224356
[12214.339814] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac4356-sdio for chip BCM4356/2
[12214.340677] brcmfmac mmc0:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac4356-sdio.friendlyarm,nanopi-m4.txt failed with error -2
[12217.377735] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_readshared: invalid sdpcm_shared address 0xFE8B0174
[12217.377739] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_readshared: unable to obtain sdpcm_shared info: rv=-22 (addr=0xfe8b0174)

 

An hint might be this post https://forum.khadas.com/t/brcm4356-and-mainline-linux-kernel/5281/2

 

By the way, I'm using an old  Realtek usb wifi dongle, and It's working, so USB seems to work

 

 

Hi Pask, how did you discover what wifi chip is used ? and how do you install firmware-brcm80211 ? sorry for all the questions I'm really keen to understand how these boards work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
9 9