2 2
Igor

Making IRC Channel Official

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, TRS-80 said:

I am of German descent though, so I like to keep things organized. :D

 

I am having a little more time now, so I could spend a few hours a week on the forums.

 

I've been looking for a way to contribute more, as I think this is a very important project. Perhaps this will be the way...


I also like to keep things in order, but forum and this project is too big for me since a long time ago. Keeping this thing organised can only be done together. I appreciate your willingness to do your share!

 

9 hours ago, TRS-80 said:

Incidentally, I tend to idle in IRC when online, I know the #armbian channel is not official, but I could also help with our presence there.


#armbian channel is unofficial for one very banal reason :rolleyes: It doesn't have a recording device -> irclogs.armbian.com I tried to fix this once - by reaching out to IRC server staff to acquire OP status which is needed to install a bot, now its years ago, but failed. Then this task simply faded off the radar. It has been more than 25 years since I was installing IRC bots so I also feel a bit rusted doing that ... if you can fix this, #armbian can become official at once and I will also be there more often.

Herzlich willkommen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Igor said:

#armbian channel is unofficial for one very banal reason :rolleyes: It doesn't have a recording device -> irclogs.armbian.com I tried to fix this once - by reaching out to IRC server staff to acquire OP status which is needed to install a bot, now its years ago, but failed. Then this task simply faded off the radar. It has been more than 25 years since I was installing IRC bots so I also feel a bit rusted doing that ... if you can fix this, #armbian can become official at once and I will also be there more often.

 

Odd. I did IRC stuff many years ago as well but it should not be a big deal to register a channel for a group and therefore gain op status in it...

Maybe I find some time to take a look into that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 6:06 AM, Werner said:

Odd. I did IRC stuff many years ago as well but it should not be a big deal to register a channel for a group and therefore gain op status in it...

Maybe I find some time to take a look into that.

I think at this point I can say: Done :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was talking to @soerenderfor about getting on IRC (and some initial confusion he had) which reminded me of something I was already thinking about before:

 

Originally we discussed redirecting irclogs.armbian.com -> whitequark log display website, but somehow we ended up with irc.armbian.com -> whitequark website.

 

I have always thought that to be a bit confusing, perhaps at irc.armbian.com we should have a landing page or some instructions, wherein contains another link to the exterior logging page (and clarifying it is an external page perhaps). And/or also redirect irclogs.armbian.com to there.

 

Since DNS / site level stuff rises above my pay grade to @Igor and/or @lanefu, I am pinging them here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a compromise between security (as suggested by Freenode staff to not use op status in a channel if you do not have to for a reason) and online presence/visibility I suggest to give any well known contributor to the project (forum staff, irc staff, developer) +v (voice) mode in the IRC channel.

 

Any objections?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Werner said:

As a compromise between security (as suggested by Freenode staff to not use op status in a channel if you do not have to for a reason) and online presence/visibility I suggest to give any well known contributor to the project (forum staff, irc staff, developer) +v (voice) mode in the IRC channel.

 

Any objections?

 

Doesn't that imply we have to make the irc channel moderated?  I don't want to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2020 at 1:01 PM, TRS-80 said:

I have always thought that to be a bit confusing, perhaps at irc.armbian.com we should have a landing page or some instructions, wherein contains another link to the exterior logging page (and clarifying it is an external page perhaps). And/or also redirect irclogs.armbian.com to there.

 

 

Im okay with it as is.  I'd rather that confusion filter out some of the newbs from easily finding their way to IRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lanefu said:

 

Doesn't that imply we have to make the irc channel moderated?  I don't want to do that.

Of course not. Having voice in an non-moderated channel is an optical accentuation only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Of course not. Having voice in an non-moderated channel is an optical accentuation only.
Oh okay.. i get it. Ya why not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lanefu said:

I'd rather that confusion filter out some of the newbs from easily finding their way to IRC.

 

Got a good point there. :D

 

2 hours ago, lanefu said:

moderated?

 

36 minutes ago, Werner said:

Of course not. Having voice in an non-moderated channel is an optical accentuation only.

 

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about that either. A brief internet search turned up this page which states:

 

Quote

If the channel is not moderated, the voice option is frequently used as a status symbol. When there is no +m, voices have no more privileges than the regular users.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 2