ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

Hi guys,

Armbian 5.44 with the 3.14.29 kernel is running quite well on my MeCool M8S Pro W box. In fact, there is just one issue, which is a bit annoying: the MAC address is "somewhat" random, meaning taht apparently after leaving it turned off for a while, the MAC address changes slightly (and in any case, it is very different from the one the box normally has (LibreELEC, Android Custom ROM, printed on the label ...)).

As I mentioned a little further up, my device tree is taken from a CoreELEC SD card, which should be the same as the one to be found here for the 2GB version.  According to this post, the dtb could be the problem, but that is the one I have.

Therefore, I tried both of the following in /etc/network/interfaces:

pre-up macchanger -m 00:ac:3f:75:c0:ff eth0

iface eth0
  hwaddress ether 00:ac:3f:75:c0:ff

But to no avail - it remains at  00:ac:2f:78:c0:ff and will probably become something else when I let the box rest for a few days.

Any ideas how to overcome this issue?

Thanks in advance and

Cheers,

chessplayer

3 hours ago, chessplayer said:

But to no avail - it remains at  00:ac:2f:78:c0:ff and will probably become something else when I let the box rest for a few days.

Any ideas how to overcome this issue?

Thanks in advance and

Add to the parameter string (in the file "uEnv.ini") parameter " mac=00:ac:3f:75:c0:ff"

Updated images kernel 3.14 and 4.18.

Add dtb for p281 (S905W).

Please note that installation in eMMC, a system with kernel 4.18, is possible only when using u-boot-2018 and formatting the eMMC in normal disk mode.

18 hours ago, KY69 said:

Thank you so much for your effort and time. I see there are no (0727) images for icewm (yet). Do you plan to generate them too? They are the ones I have been testing...

Yes.

there is not enough time for everything :(

By the way, interesting news, I managed to run the version of Manjaro on TV Box Amlogic, everything starts and works. But while it has to be done in semi-manual mode (i'm need to rebuild the new image with full support for TV boxes). I hope soon there will be another version of the Linux distribution (Manjaro) for the platform Amlogic. :)

51 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

there is not enough time for everything :(

I understand and I am by no means requesting anything. I appreciate your time and work and just wanted to know if there would be such releases in the future. I am running the 3.14.29 icewm version from April 06 on a TX3 mini 2/16, and it is very stable and fast. This is so cool!

I tried a couple images with 4.x kernels (4.14 and 4.16 if I am not mistaken), but if recall correctly only the 4.16 version worked on my TX3 mini, and for some reason I was not able to run the root partition from my USB HDD, so I postponed tests for lack of time. The 3.14 kernel version I am running right now is booting from the SD card but the root partition is on the USB hard disk. I am writing this post from my TX3 mini, thank you!

51 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

... I managed to run the version of Manjaro on TV Box Amlogic, everything starts and works. ... I hope soon there will be another version of the Linux distribution (Manjaro) for the platform Amlogic. :)

Nice! Again, thank you for your work on these boxes.

I've tried Ubuntu using 4.18 kernel, does anyone know when the sound will be supported, maybe kernel 4.19?

I've tried to play 1080p yt video using firefox, it runs smoother than before, but it's pointless to play it without sound.

It's good to see Amlogic soc making progress in Linux kernel, hope they will fix everyting that needs to be fixed soon.

19 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

New images on the website with kernel 3.14 on fixed wifi ssv6051 version (20180729).

Add image IceWM 3.14 and 4.18

Thank you x2, again! :) Will DL both of them now and start testing the new images.

Hi,

Thanks for your excellent work, I tested last image (debian xfce) on x96mini 2/16 and it boots well using p281 dtb file. I'm writting this post from it:

Linux aml 4.18.0-rc5-aml-s9xxx #16 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jul 27 20:02:44 MSK 2018 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Here is some feedbacks about some (minor or not depending of usage) problems:

- no sound from the av port even if pulseaudio shows some activities (tested with mpv test video and a youtube video within chromium browser)

- wireless card is not recognized (nothing with lsmod and obviously nothing with iwconfig (only lo and eth0))

- videoplayback is not accelerated

- no mali driver for 3d acceleration even if glxinfo doesn't report any error

I didn't try to solve any of these issues and maybe some of them are easy to fix. I'll see if I have time for that in a near future.

In conclusion, current usage is mainly as server even if desktop starts well.

Spoiler

DXTp1c0.png

MdnfvVL.png

As I already wrote about external players, for html5 player in the browser scaling is also extremely difficult task. The same video is played in full screen mode. The first is 360p and as you can see, a significant frames dropped. Second, 720p native screen resolution and frames dropped only at the moment of ui appearance. So for 1080p this is less relevant, but for 720p screen resolution, any video with a resolution of 720p is preferable, even more than video with a lower resolution in all image with kernel 3.14.29.

21 hours ago, David Markey said:

do you have compile instructions for kodi anywhere

Install the mali7 packages and follow the standard instructions to build KODI under Ubuntu.

17 hours ago, ramawatar said:

When it will be available manjaro

Coming soon.

On 6/10/2018 at 9:30 PM, MOHAMMAD HADI said:

Hi @balbes150 can you include the wifi drivers and dvb drivers for kii pro ?

The DVB drivers are maintained by afl1 here https://github.com/afl1/dvb_tv-aml

He includes them in his fork of the kernel here https://github.com/afl1/linux-amlogic/tree/amlogic-3.14-nougat/drivers/amlogic/dvb-avl

The wifi chipset is ampak ap6335 which combine Broadcom wifi chip and the Bluetooth chip

Thanks

@balbes150 any word on the dvb drivers ?

I have tested different versions on nand on beste works

Armbian_5.41_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20180225 Kodi 17.3. on KII pro Box.

But i can not install tvheadend, pvr add-ones and if installable shows kodi error,
What  can I do?

11 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Install the mali7 packages and follow the standard instructions to build KODI under Ubuntu.

Coming soon.

configure: error: unsupported native build platform: aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu

how do i fix that @balbes150

could you update your kodi builds to fix cec support?

16 hours ago, MOHAMMAD HADI said:

any word on the dvb drivers ?

I'm still busy with works with kernel 4.18, the test mode setting in eMMC.

12 hours ago, ennoente said:

What  can I do? 

Use Libreelec.

12 hours ago, David Markey said:

could you update your kodi builds to fix cec support? 

I'm still busy with other work.

Good news. I am finishing testing the Armbian installation with 4.18 kernel in eMMC on the models I have in stock (Khades VIM1 VIM2 , X96 mini etc). To complete the full cycle of tests and release images, I'm looking for volunteers to test the installation scripts on different hardware.

A prerequisite for the test, the presence of a connected console UART, send me the startup log and perform preparatory operations for the test.

On 7/29/2018 at 1:28 PM, balbes150 said:

New images on the website with kernel 3.14 on fixed wifi ssv6051 version (20180729).

Add image IceWM 3.14 and 4.18

Hi,

I am running Armbian_5.44_S9xx_Ubuntu_bionic_3.14.29_mate_20180729 on my Mecool M8S Pro W (S905W) which boots without a dtb.img file. I have opened the box to find out that it has a SV6051P wifi chip. So, I followed the instructions by pisach on page 52:

On 5/28/2018 at 10:48 AM, pisach said:

mecool M8S pro has SV6051 WiFi. You need to do the following:

ln -s /lib/firmware /usr/lib/firmware

modprobe ssv6051

add ssv6051 in /etc/modules

reboot

After reboot the list of local wifi access points are shown by the network-manager app! But when I select my network and enter the password it only changes the icon for about 30 seconds showing that it tries to connect. But it always fails to connect ...

Here is the output of iwconfig:

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any  
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off

Can you please help me?

2 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Good news. I am finishing testing the Armbian installation with 4.18 kernel in eMMC on the models I have in stock (Khades VIM1 VIM2 , X96 mini etc). To complete the full cycle of tests and release images, I'm looking for volunteers to test the installation scripts on different hardware.

A prerequisite for the test, the presence of a connected console UART, send me the startup log and perform preparatory operations for the test.

I have MXQ Pro+ 4k (905W), Mini M8S and Mini MX-III boxes if it is possible to connect UART cable to these boxes I'd be happy to help you test :)

BTW: Is it a bit ironic that the only box officially supported, Beelink X2, there is NO development going on.....

37 minutes ago, TheMojoMan said:

Can you please help me?

I don't use WiFi , so I don't know how to help you. Kernel module and firmware working, may require additional configuration.

32 minutes ago, Reddwarf said:

if it is possible to connect UART cable to these boxes I'd be happy to help you test

If you have a connection UART, Show me the startup log of the standard Android or Armbian firmware with kernel 3.14 (until the user prompt appears).

1 minute ago, balbes150 said:

If you have a connection UART, remove the startup log of the standard Android or Armbian firmware with kernel 3.14 (until the user prompt appears).

There is no external connection point, but I remember reading that you can solder on a cable on the board if you remove the lid from the box. Do you know anything about that?  If not I have to investigate further, but I know it is possible at least with the Mini M8S.