18 18
mindee

NanoPI M4

Recommended Posts

(edited)
On 9/13/2019 at 4:19 AM, pavelectric said:

Good afternoon. I have a version with DDR3 4Gb. OS - FriendlyCore + Mate desktop. YouTube full screen 1080 no problem at all. Armbian doesn't work like that ...

For some reason I'm not having the same experience. Tried different images, only one that doesn't lag in youtube is FriendlyDesktop, but once I run apt upgrade to the latest version, it doesn't handle it anymore.

 

With friendlycore + mate, I installed chrome and looked chrome://gpu, I don't see hardware accelerated. Do you know what else I need to do?

 

Sorry I know this doesn't concern armbian, but was kind of wondering if anyone know what else needs to be done to be able to play youtube at least for 1080p.

Edited by cowbe0x004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cowbe0x004 said:

With friendlycore + mate, I installed chrome and looked chrome://gpu, I don't see hardware accelerated. Do you know what else I need to do?

Firefox )))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RE:Accelerated graphics not working. I've found that updating Friendly OS using the Linux tools loses both the setting and the acceleration. Simply putting the setting back on doesn't fix it. If you stick to the Friendly releases, it's fine. Apart from when they mangle a release and have to fix it in a hurry when the Beta testers (us) complain. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that is the idea, but I don't have that hat. Armbian usually transfers very well. I have the SATA Hat. I'm running Friendly OS right now which doesn't transfer 100% and I'm booting from EMMC and using SSD for data e.g. Thunderbird. The boot time from EMMC vs SSD SATA is negligible and running apps seems the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, decryption said:

Can anyone confirm if the NanoPi M4 can boot from an NVMe SSD if I purchase the optional hat?

Yes it can. But only with Armbian as far as I know.
I made a video on how to install it onto NVMe. 

I now also have the NVMe hat for the M4. I love the thing. 
I've installed armbian bionic desktop with @JMCC his media script. Works great. 
Greetings.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The nvme adapter does not work with xpg sx6000 lite nvme and sk hynix sata drives. Looks like the adapter or the kernel is picky on which drive it can recognize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can confirm Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 works in armbian with NVMe hat.  Have included test of the read speed which is an impressive 734mbs as for write speed could not do. Exactly same conditions as nicod video above.

Main website

Amazon link

 

158714691_sabrentnvmetest.jpg.35e4e56e8313f9b23773930d19d21d28.jpg

 

Not sure if anyone else is having problems with the 12v fan with the NVMe hat but this doesn't work in armbian, so assume something needs to be added to armbian to activate it at p-mos switch. If it does could be i got a faulty fan, NVMe board or it activates at a higher temperature then i can get it atm in the metal case. 

M4_NVME_SSD_BLOCK.thumb.jpg.d18039e25b8ceee40beedac5d8d42c5e.jpg

Thanks nicod for video btw saved me some time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2019 at 8:05 PM, cowbe0x004 said:

The nvme adapter does not work with xpg sx6000 lite nvme and sk hynix sata drives. Looks like the adapter or the kernel is picky on which drive it can recognize.

 

I lied, xpg sx6000 works just fine with armbian.

 

Does anyone know how to boot out of the nvme drive? I still have to leave the sdcard plugged in after running armbian-config to boot from nvme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, cowbe0x004 said:

Does anyone know how to boot out of the nvme drive? I still have to leave the sdcard plugged in after running armbian-config to boot from nvme.

Since U-Boot needs to reside somewhere, and since NanoPi-M4 doesn't seem to have any SPI-NOR, it can only boot from either eMMC module, if you have one, or the SDCard, then RootFS can be located on nvme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 2:49 PM, shaun27 said:

Not sure if anyone else is having problems with the 12v fan with the NVMe hat but this doesn't work in armbian, so assume something needs to be added to armbian to activate it at p-mos switch. If it does could be i got a faulty fan, NVMe board or it activates at a higher temperature then i can get it atm in the metal case. 

 

I haven't used the NVMe hat as driver for the fan in Armbian. I'm using the 3V gpio pin for it. Makes way too much noise when it turns on with the NVMe hat(in FriendlyDesktop). 

Does it also make so much noise for you? 

I also removed the cover under the fan and that reduced the noise level a lot. Certainly when putting 5V or higher thru the fan. The fins in the metal cover make a whisle noise.
It stays cool enough at 3V for normal use. Without it, it gets too hot quickly. 
I'd like to hear your experience. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NicoD said:

I haven't used the NVMe hat as driver for the fan in Armbian. I'm using the 3V gpio pin for it. Makes way too much noise when it turns on with the NVMe hat(in FriendlyDesktop). 

Does it also make so much noise for you? 

I also removed the cover under the fan and that reduced the noise level a lot. Certainly when putting 5V or higher thru the fan. The fins in the metal cover make a whisle noise.
It stays cool enough at 3V for normal use. Without it, it gets too hot quickly. 
I'd like to hear your experience. 
 

The NVMe hat 12v fan socket doesn't work at all for armbian, most likely missing a drive or something. I got it to around 50c and the fan didn't even kick in. I have directly connected the fan to the 5v gpio port for the time being works fine not loud at all but downside to this is that you have to fully disconnect the device to power the fan down. Their was some information regarding controlling the port pwn0 link did try it but it completely bricked the account i exported to so. Have not tried friendlyelec desktop as i prefer armbian's clean image.

 

As for cooling i have no problems even with fan off in the metal case as i have used copper shims and thermal paste sits at 30c idle and 40c something under load. I will say its a pain to say the least to do that in the metal case without the copper shim going misaligned. I did try their thermal pad but tbh temps were going up to 50c once the metal case was warmed up. The metal case is alot more effective though then the normal heat-sink they supplied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to further add regarding Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe i have tested this write speed and read speed same time.

Read 390mb give or take few mb and around 380 write.

 

So i would assume this is the upper limit on the pci2.1 on the m4 of around 780 something considering the NVMe is rated 1050mb write 3100 read. Still alot faster then the ssd i tested through usb3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
18 18