Kobol Team is pulling the plug ;(

rjgould

2 2

Armbian is a community driven open source project. Do you like to contribute your code?

Sad sad news! 

Sad for the team, they put a lot of effort into this, I'm sure they made a lot of sacrifices for that project, and it's never pleasant to end an intense effort like that.

And of course sad for the customers, who were counting on them.  Especially since Helios was a success, customers were had high expectations for Helios64. Very sad that it didn't work out...

I believe hardware wise, the team did an excellent job, Helios64 looks really good,  and the specs were quite nice. 

But I'm guessing it's on the software side that it didn't work out, which is really a shame, because software can always be fixed. It requires time, it requires effort, it's not cheap, but it's easier to fix than a hardware issue. 

So although I'm a gutted that they are pulling the plug, good luck to Kobol team, and hope that you come back having learnt from this experience :)

Really sad news, very sorry to hear that for them as a team and company and for ourselves the users of course. The Helios64 is one of the best NAS solutions out there for the budget and the specs and with great potential. I was also counting on getting a Helio64 next revision with the expected improvements and the expected support from the Kobol team... Well hopefully better days will come for all.

Frustrating.  Any other arm based board that's 64-bit and has an actual SATA controller?   I need this to run zfs for a backup system.  I suppose ODROID-HC4 works, but the toaster form factor is lame.

I think what he meant is: "Your data is expensive, don't stick to ARM" -> Buy a better / easier supported and more stable / mature board like literally ANY x86 small form factor thing. Can get them easy with actual SATA etc. Real BIOS....

Uh, arm is the future for everything.  Intel is on its way out.   Also, I use this for offsite backup.  All of the servers I manage have raid 1 for storage, a second internal disk for backup,  and an offsite storage box that grabs the latest snapshot every hour.  I've been using a kobol and a HC4 to do this for months now, it works fine. 

Well this sucks. I never got my usb-c cable or any replies to emails about it, they must be just swamped overworked to death and decided this wasn't worth it (kinda what it sounded like in the newsletter, top much work for 3 people). Hopefully being open source means we can keep up on the software end for awhile without them. I got this specifically to have an ARM based linux device that had multiple native sata ports instead of sata-over-usb. I had kind of a niche use and this fit the bill.

I am still sad about the news. However I wish the team the best and some more free time and hopefully you will regain some of that passion. You have come a long way from an originally failed Kickstarter campaign for the helios4 (which still came to life) to the helios64. The work you have done for the open source community is impressive.

A personal thank you to @gprovost @aprayoga and also Dmitriy Sidorovich (which I have not seen on the forums).

I would be very much interested in how everything worked behind the scenes. Like, how do find a factory, how does sourcing the parts work, how many prototypes were there?. This is something that I guess few think about and may have as little clue as I have. It'd be super cool if you could share some of that, obv. just if you don't mind and as far as maybe NDAs allow for.

2 2