ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

1 hour ago, TheMojoMan said:

Hi,

I am running Armbian_5.44_S9xx_Ubuntu_bionic_3.14.29_mate_20180729 on my Mecool M8S Pro W (S905W) which boots without a dtb.img file. I have opened the box to find out that it has a SV6051P wifi chip. So, I followed the instructions by pisach on page 52:

After reboot the list of local wifi access points are shown by the network-manager app! But when I select my network and enter the password it only changes the icon for about 30 seconds showing that it tries to connect. But it always fails to connect ...

Here is the output of iwconfig:

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any  
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off

Can you please help me?

You can send here output from dmesg or/and syslog. 

1 hour ago, Reddwarf said:

There is no external connection point, but I remember reading that you can solder on a cable on the board if you remove the lid from the box. Do you know anything about that?  If not I have to investigate further, but I know it is possible at least with the Mini M8S. 

Many TV boxes on the Board have contacts for UART connection to which you can solder the wires to connect the USB-UART Converter.. You need to look at the surface of the Board or search the Internet ready description.

4 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

Many TV boxes on the Board have contacts for UART connection to which you can solder the wires to connect the USB-UART Converter.. You need to look at the surface of the Board or search the Internet ready description.

Will do :) Is there a good windows program to capture the output that I can download and use? I will connest toe UART outut to a RS232 -> USB converter onnected to a PC...

Will do :) Is there a good windows program to capture the output that I can download and use? I will connest toe UART outut to a RS232 -> USB converter onnected to a PC...

757678774_QQPhoto20180803222003.jpg.87b4c77e47de88fc0205ae539f747600.jpg

like this :-)

1 hour ago, TheMojoMan said:

Aug  3 21:11:51 localhost wpa_supplicant[3329]: dbus: fill_dict_with_properties dbus_interface=fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.Interface dbus_property=Stations getter failed
Aug  3 21:11:51 localhost wpa_supplicant[3329]: dbus: wpa_dbus_get_object_properties: failed to get object properties: (none) none
Aug  3 21:11:51 localhost wpa_supplicant[3329]: dbus: Failed to construct signal
Aug  3 21:11:51 localhost wpa_supplicant[3329]: dbus: fill_dict_with_properties dbus_interface=fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.Interface dbus_property=Stations getter failed
Aug  3 21:11:51 localhost NetworkManager[3367]: <info>  [1533323511.5977] device (wlan0): supplicant interface state: starting -> ready
Aug  3 21:11:51 localhost NetworkManager[3367]: <info>  [1533323511.5981] device (wlan0): state change: unavailable -> disconnected (reason 'supplicant-available', sys-iface-state: 'managed')

I'm not expert here, but it looks as WPA related. Are you sure that you actually use WPA and not something else? The WiFi driver seems OK, check your WiFi settings. 

19 minutes ago, pisach said:

I'm not expert here, but it looks as WPA related. Are you sure that you actually use WPA and not something else? The WiFi driver seems OK, check your WiFi settings. 

Thank you so much for your analysis!

I always use WPA/WPA2 Personal to connect to my router. I think I compared the WiFi settings to the settings of my laptop running Manjaro (Arch) Linux before. But I will recheck again tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Rosimildo said:

HI all,

I've got a X96mini box, and I'd like to get Armbian with 4.18 running on it. 

Could you tell me which version works ? I just need a headless device for now.

Thanks, Rosimildo.

I was able to install:

This image works:

Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_3.14.29_mate_20180729.img

But, I have been unable to get any 4.18 kernel to load correctly.

I have read on this thread that some folks did it!  Please share more info, thanks!

R

16 hours ago, Rosimildo said:

HI all,

I've got a X96mini box, and I'd like to get Armbian with 4.18 running on it. 

Could you tell me which version works ? I just need a headless device for now.

Thanks, Rosimildo.

I booted with 4.18 on my X96 mini as I claimed here:

I just downloaded latest 5.44 image (was the 20180727) from link provided in 1rst post of this topic. Then burnt it to an sdcard and use the dtb for p281 (copy it and rename it as dtb.img at the root of the fat partition as explained on the 1rst post).

9 hours ago, jeanrhum said:

I booted with 4.18 on my X96 mini as I claimed here:

I just downloaded latest 5.44 image (was the 20180727) from link provided in 1rst post of this topic. Then burnt it to an sdcard and use the dtb for p281 (copy it and rename it as dtb.img at the root of the fat partition as explained on the 1rst post).

Thank you!!! I made a stupid mistake. I changed the name of the dtb as:  281.dtb !!!

Naming it as it should:  dtb.img, it worked!

R

12 hours ago, Reddwarf said:

I really enjoy the Test.mp4 music videos you attach to the various images, could you please upload all of them to a folder under Armbian so we can download them? Please?

Alas, I do not archive all versions of the files used. If you want, you can find all the videos used in the images on youtube. :)

Hi,

I just start following this topics. I try to search for device zte B860H and found nothing.

I try to follow the instruction (to run armbian) using my zte B860H STB, without any success.

Does anyone here has the same STB model with me? Any clue to get it working?

Thank you,

Correction of search operation in Synaptic program. Remove from directory "/etc/apt/apt.conf.d" all files. Download the link two files and copy them to the directory "/etc/apt/apt.conf.d". Run Synaptic and update the package list. After these steps, the package search in Synaptic should work fine.

https://yadi.sk/d/R8U9M-oM3a8M9r

Correction of search operation in Synaptic program. Remove from directory "/etc/apt/apt.conf.d" all files. Download the link two files and copy them to the directory "/etc/apt/apt.conf.d". Run Synaptic and update the package list. After these steps, the package search in Synaptic should work fine.

https://yadi.sk/d/R8U9M-oM3a8M9r

Will this be fixed in future armbian images, or we will have to fix it every time new image is out?

13 minutes ago, ennoente said:

Have tested different versions, some work well on my box.   But how can I enable or install pvr addons?

if i always install over ssh, error Message addon can not start ..???

Addons?? Are you talking about Kodi?

1 hour ago, ennoente said:

Have tested different versions, some work well on my box.   But how can I enable or install pvr addons?

if i always install over ssh, error Message addon can not start ..???

If you need full kodi functional and compatibility use libreelec... 

On 7/27/2018 at 9:59 AM, chessplayer said:

Hi guys,

Armbian 5.44 with the 3.14.29 kernel is running quite well on my MeCool M8S Pro W box. In fact, there is just one issue, which is a bit annoying: the MAC address is "somewhat" random, meaning taht apparently after leaving it turned off for a while, the MAC address changes slightly (and in any case, it is very different from the one the box normally has (LibreELEC, Android Custom ROM, printed on the label ...)).

As I mentioned a little further up, my device tree is taken from a CoreELEC SD card, which should be the same as the one to be found here for the 2GB version.  According to this post, the dtb could be the problem, but that is the one I have.

Therefore, I tried both of the following in /etc/network/interfaces:

pre-up macchanger -m 00:ac:3f:75:c0:ff eth0

iface eth0
  hwaddress ether 00:ac:3f:75:c0:ff

But to no avail - it remains at  00:ac:2f:78:c0:ff and will probably become something else when I let the box rest for a few days.

Any ideas how to overcome this issue?

Thanks in advance and

Cheers,

chessplayer

I do not know what happens to my Mecool M8S Pro W and M8S Plus W devices.

I tried Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Debian_stretch_3.14.29_xfce_20180729.img on a SanDisk MicroSD 16GB class 10. The initial promt of installation and was started normally (despite the password error, it was necessary to change) but unfortunately the system was not initialized.

During execution I get a list of executions with "OK" and some with "FAILED" between them "Failed_to_start _Load_Kernel" or something like that. I probably have a problem with the kernel. But unfortunately I can not capture the log to post here.

At some point I was generating an HDMI error, so I changed the resolution from 1920x1080 to 1080x720 in the HDMI.sh file as indicated at the beginning of this topic and apparently it was resolved, even then the system is still not able to boot.

Please someone teach me how to view the complete log so I can share it here and anyone who has ever succeeded in a MecoSM M8S Plus W or M8S Pro W device, tell me which distro, dtb, and kernel you used to get a perfect startup.

I also tested some dtb's p281 (p218 / p21x) but unfortunately I did not succeed for system startup. Usually at the time that I should boot the System Boot, the screen gets some running logs but always progress. I wonder if recording a video clip could be beneficial.

On 8/18/2018 at 4:30 PM, Felipe Junior said:

I do not know what happens to my Mecool M8S Pro W and M8S Plus W devices.

I tried Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Debian_stretch_3.14.29_xfce_20180729.img on a SanDisk MicroSD 16GB class 10. The initial promt of installation and was started normally (despite the password error, it was necessary to change) but unfortunately the system was not initialized.

During execution I get a list of executions with "OK" and some with "FAILED" between them "Failed_to_start _Load_Kernel" or something like that. I probably have a problem with the kernel. But unfortunately I can not capture the log to post here.

At some point I was generating an HDMI error, so I changed the resolution from 1920x1080 to 1080x720 in the HDMI.sh file as indicated at the beginning of this topic and apparently it was resolved, even then the system is still not able to boot.

Please someone teach me how to view the complete log so I can share it here and anyone who has ever succeeded in a MecoSM M8S Plus W or M8S Pro W device, tell me which distro, dtb, and kernel you used to get a perfect startup.

I also get the "Failed to start load kernel modules" and "failed to initialize zram..." on every image I try, but the 5.55 images run pretty well except for wifi which is a bit fluffy and BT support is absent. There is no video acceleration either....

I also get the "Failed to start load kernel modules" and "failed to initialize zram..." on every image I try, but the 5.55 images run pretty well except for wifi which is a bit fluffy and BT support is absent. There is no video acceleration either....

Interesting, what device are you doing in the tests? Do you have the same SoC s905W? And what versions of ARMBIAN 5.55 have you tried?

1 minute ago, Felipe Junior said:

Interesting, what device are you doing in the tests? Do you have the same SoC s905W? And what versions of ARMBIAN 5.55 have you tried?

I'm using a Beelink mini MX-III, a mini M8S and a MXQPro+, the first two are 905 while the last is 905w. I have tried both xenial, bionic and debian stretch, the debian is the one that seems to work best.

11 minutes ago, Reddwarf said:

I'm using a Beelink mini MX-III, a mini M8S and a MXQPro+, the first two are 905 while the last is 905w. I have tried both xenial, bionic and debian stretch, the debian is the one that seems to work best.

Thanks for replying, I'm downloading the version Armbian_5.55_Aml-s9xxx_Debian_stretch_default_4.18.0_desktop_20180817.img to see if you have any changes. 

I got this result with Armbian_5.37_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_icewm_20171226.img on my Mecool M8S Pro 2G / 16 S912. This time there was no kernel error or ZRAM, but still did not complete Boot. See the last screen it performs.

IMG_20180820_154109_HHT.jpg