Armbian v20.11 (Tamandua) Planning Thread


Go to solution Solved by Werner,

Recommended Posts

Release Candidate Code Freeze Date: 2020-10-18 

Release Date: 2020-11-XX 

Release Candidate Branch Link: TBD

Release Changelog: TBD

Release Coordinator: TBD

Testing Tracking Sheet: TBD (google sheets)

 

The goal of this thread is to discuss testing, bugfixes, and the overall quality of the release. Once the release is complete, this thread should be locked and unpinned.

---

 

Our next release date is coming and perhaps its time to discuss what to push into 20.11, what not, resolve open questions and distract from most used keyword for past few weeks.

 

 

@Myy @TonyMac32 @balbes150 @piter75 @sfx2000@ebin-dev @Heisath@chwe@ning@lanefu@gprovost@aprayoga@5kft

@JMCC@karabek@Igor@martinayotte@tkaiser@selfbg@Siraj@jock@going ... (please mention whoever is missed)


Meeting on IRC in Saturday, October 3rd, at 2 pm GMT is being prepared - this is reasonable good timing for US / EU folks.

 

Agenda:
 

  • check meeting attendees (if nick is not self explanatory, add your forum/Github handle. Just say hi or something)
  • present tasks, bugs or project you are working on (open discussion if there will not be much people, otherwise meeting officer call people out). Jira should be open in not already.
  • cycle Jira backlog:
  • discuss task / bug (one at a time)
  • assign to person / release / tag
  • re-prioritise
  • cycle open issues and PR on build engine
  • board status update on download pages and build engine (wip, supported, eol)
  • choosing upcoming release officer (so far it was Igor and Lane)
  • misc / open discussion


Tips:

  • when you got a voice, be concise (1-2 min) and make it clear when you stop. ("No more, I'm done")
  • channel is recorded so a summary and adjustments to Jira can made afterwards, ideally along with the meeting
  • Meeting location is IRC channel #armbian on Freenode. (previous session as an example)

 

Ideally it would be that prior to this meeting we all update tasks/project statuses in Jira - who still does not have access shall PM to @lanefu or @Igor - reviewing, prioritising and releasing goes faster this way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Armbian is a community driven open source project. Do you like to contribute your code?

Sorry - bit busy with the jobby-job... Off the job - some concerns around support for older boards - keeping images over the the legacy...

 

Bit surprised today... seems like AW-H5 has fallen off the supporte path.

 

sfx@192.168.15.23's password: 
 _   _ ____  _   _   _              ____  
| \ | |  _ \(_) | \ | | ___  ___   |___ \ 
|  \| | |_) | | |  \| |/ _ \/ _ \    __) |
| |\  |  __/| | | |\  |  __/ (_) |  / __/ 
|_| \_|_|   |_| |_| \_|\___|\___/  |_____|
                                       

Welcome to Armbian 20.08.3 Bionic with Linux 5.8.11-sunxi64

No end-user support: built from trunk

System load:   2%           Up time:       11:28
Memory usage:  8% of 985M   IP:            192.168.10.120
CPU temp:      36°C           Usage of /:    15% of 15G    

[ General system configuration (beta): armbian-config ]

 

Last login: Sat Sep 26 08:57:57 2020 from 192.168.15.133

Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who missed it last time: We will once again have the translation bot in place.

So if you are not familiar with or don't feel comfortable talking in English feel free to write in your native language. To trigger the bot simply put two dots in front of your message. Like this:

 

<Werner> ..Diese Nachricht soll übersetzt werden.
<ArmbianHelper> This message should be translated. [de~>eng]

The bot will almost instantly give a proper translation back. There is no need to specify the source language as it is most likely detected automatically.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2020 at 11:57 PM, Werner said:

Meeting on IRC in Saturday, October 3rd, at 2 pm GMT is being prepared - this is reasonable good timing for US / EU folks.

 

 

Pretty early in the morning for US folks - I'm out here in the PDT timezone, which if I recall is 6AM - I'd be ok moving this a couple of hours to 4PM GMT/8AM PDT, which works well for me, as I have teams in the UK/DE that I deal with on the job stuff.

 

That is of course, if you really need/want me present for the meeting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also like to mention that this (hopefully) will be the first meetup that we use the Meetbot from Debian:https://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot

It will help to point out important stuff without having to dig through many pages of logs to get back the important stuff. Simply put one of the mentioned hashtags in front of your important message and the bot will silently seperate it from other stuff:

 

Quote

#info - Add an info item to the minutes. People should liberally use this for important things they say, so that they can be logged in the minutes.

#action - Document an action item in the minutes. Include any nicknames in the line, and the item will be assigned to them. (nicknames are case-sensitive)

#idea - Add an idea to the minutes.

#help - Add a "Call for Help" to the minutes. Use this command when you need to recruit someone to do a task. (Counter-intuitively, this doesn't provide help on the bot)

#link - Add a link to the meeting minutes. The link should be the first non-command on the line, other commentary after the link is OK. Links beginning with http:// and a few other protocols are automatically detected.

 

What we hopefully will get at the end will look like this:

https://werner.armbian.de/_meetbot/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello. Sorry for the no-show at the IRC meeting, got the COVID and that precise day I was moving back to my home after being discharged. I'm better now, thanks be to God.

 

I have been investigating, and got to make a set of multimedia packages that will work with Buster or Focal. I think it is a good opportunity to close AR-151, and give to users some stable and well-proven multimedia solution, while exploring newer options as Mainline or Wayland for next releases.

 

The solution would be simply a set of packages, with some base meta-package to install them all, and do the necessary configs. We could then choose to install it at build time, or make it an option in Armbian-config, or just leave it for the user to do an "apt install armbian-multimedia-xxxx".

 

I think I can have the binary packages ready by the freeze date (this weekend), at least for some boards (RK3288, RK3399 and probably also RK3328 and XU4). @lanefu Do you think we can include it in this release?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JMCC said:

Hello. Sorry for the no-show at the IRC meeting, got the COVID and that precise day I was moving back to my home after being discharged. I'm better now, thanks be to God.

 

I'm so glad you are okay.  That must have been traumatizing.  Welcome back!

 

I owe you a follow-up regarding the rest of your post.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you are getting better!

 

16 hours ago, JMCC said:

I have been investigating, and got to make a set of multimedia packages that will work with Buster or Focal. I think it is a good opportunity to close AR-151, and give to users some stable and well-proven multimedia solution, while exploring newer options as Mainline or Wayland for next releases.


Check https://armbian.atlassian.net/browse/AR-200 and comment, perhaps have a word with @Myy Perhaps we will have a better way once that part is done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Igor said:

Check https://armbian.atlassian.net/browse/AR-200 and comment, perhaps have a word with @Myy Perhaps we will have a better way once that part is done.

Wow, that's very interesting. It somehow responds to what I meant for the future, about Wayland etc.

 

Though, it does not overlap with the proposal related to AR-150, since in this case it is not about desktop environments or configurations, but about a set of packages of two kinds:

  • Libs and configs to set up HW acceleration, regardless of the DE you are going to use on top of it.
  • Multimedia applications, that can be run under any DE, or some of them with no DE at all.

On the other hand, the AR-200 solution seems to be more focused on Mainline, not Legacy. But both things are certainly related. I will try to reach @Myy to coordinate about it.

 

@IgorBut could we at least get the packages uploaded to apt.armbian.com for this time? I have some time to do that now, but I don't know if I will be able to do it in three months from now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Myy said:

@JMCC The current system actually supports "appgroups", which should provide enough flexibility in regards to Hardware acceleration packages and multimedia apps.

 

The appgroups can also contain additional packages depending on the selected board and Desktop Environment.

That sounds like a good way to implement these package groups. Maybe, for the sake of simplicity and easy maintenance, we could classify by board families instead of boards?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought about it and I guess this could be implemented by aggregating the information provided in custom/boards_families and custom/boards .

 

That could also be implemented by just created a folder, then creating symlinks to in the right places, though, Git symlinks might pose some issues on some Windows systems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Werner said:

When do you plan to push RC images?


This terminology we have to change - we actually don't have / differentiate RC, normal and nightly. Just normal and nightly. Rebuilding nightly is getting latest trunk snapshot.
And probably some adjustement is desired - with keeping as low build count as possible https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/config/targets.conf

Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I checked the launch of the latest night version on NanoPC T4 and found that the system does not start from the SD card (u-boot for some reason does not perceive the mmc 1 SD card). Perhaps the reason is the SD card, but I tried on the same SD card my system versions (LE and Armbian), where u-boot.2020.10 is used, the SD card works without problems (u-boot sees and starts the system from it). Has anyone experienced the same problem on T4 ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Igor unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...